Tap water which is supplied to most of the homes in the UK is unfit for consumption in its purest form. No matter how much purification or filtration is done at the state board’s end, it is always advisable for you to purify the water yourself with the help of a water filter system before consuming it.
If you are looking for ways to improve the quality of the tap water supplied to your home and makes it clean and healthy for consumption, follow the methods provided below:
#Method 1: Boiling Water
Boling tap water on a stove before consumption evaporates the impurities and contaminations from the tap water. To do so, follow these steps:
- Place a pot full of tap water on stove.
- All impurities such as Bacteria will be killed on boiling the water.
- Even if you don’t have a gas stove nearby you, you can always build a fire using sticks to put your pot on.
- Boil the water for 3-5 minutes to purify it sufficiently by killing majority of living organisms in water and vaporizing few chemicals.
- Boil the water for long time if you are high above the sea level.
Method #2: Using a Water Filter System
A water filter system allows you to purify tap water. These systems use a physical barrier or a biological or chemical process to remove impurities. Different water filter systems use a number of different methods to purify water.
A RO water filter uses the Reverse osmosis phenomenon to pass the water through a membrane which blocks various impurities and contaminations such as lead, chlorine and bacteria. Some of the top water filter jugs include the Marella XL, Bobble Water Jug and the Stelton Water filter jug.
#Method 3: Use Purification Tablets
Today, the markets are full of purification drops or tablets which allow you to purify the water. Although the taste of the water won’t be as good as obtained by other methods but these tablets can help to remove bacteria contaminants from the tap water.
One of the most sold purification tablets are the Iodine tablets. But chlorine tablets can also provide similar results to the iodine tablets. To use these tablets,
- Strain the water by using a cloth to remove large particles floating in the water.
- Place a single tablet for every quarter liter of water you want to purify.
- Make sure you don’t use expired tablets as they can have adverse effects on your body.
- Mix these tablets into the tap water until they are completely dissolved.
Method #4: Using Water Softeners
For homes which are usually supplied with hard water, getting a hold of soft water for consumption can be a really difficult job. You can, at that time, use various water softeners to subdue the hardness of the tap water. You can look at this list of the best water softeners which you can use at home to make the tap water soft for consumption.